A professional sharpening result in a simple way
The Edge Pro Apex sharpening system is an inexpensive and relatively compact sharpening system that is ideal for sharpening your knife along the entire cut and under a very constant angle.
The sharpening system can be mounted easily and quickly. The sharpening system is fastened to a smooth surface by means of suction cups. That surface could possibly be, for example, a loose glass plate
or something similar. After the system is mounted, you place your knife against the metal plate on the table of the system and you can quickly and easily sharpen your knife by moving it back and forth
in the conductor with the clamped sharpening stone. Several sharpening stones are available: ranging from very coarse (for repairing the fold of a very blunt knife) to polish tape (for polishing a knife
that is already sharpened until it is smooth as glass).
Differences between the Apex 1, 2, 3 and 4
The Edge Pro Apex-sharpening systems are all identical. The sets only differ in the accessories included in the delivery. You will find the differences below.
Determining the correct sharpening angle
|Apex 1 ||Apex 2 ||Apex 3 ||Apex 4|
|Sharpening system ||X||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 120 ||-||-||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 220 ||X||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 400 ||X||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 600 ||-||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 1000 ||-||-||X||X|
|Aluminium plates for polish tapes ||-||-||-||X|
|Polish tapes grit 2000 ||-||-||-||X|
|Polish tapes grit 3000 ||-||-||-||X|
|Ceramic sharpening rod ||-||X||X||X|
|Microfibre cloth ||X||X||X||X|
|Spray bottle ||X||X||X||X|
|Cordura storage bag ||X||X||X||X|
|Instruction DVD ||-||X||X||X|
Obviously it is always wise to carefully read the manual but the system actually works very logical. You set the sharpening angle by adjusting the conductor of the sharpening stone at the correct
height. Coloured stripes will help you find the correct sharpening angle. The sharpening angle is 15 degrees when the bottom stripe, the red one, is just visible above the black block used to mount the
conductor. If you remember that the difference between each stripe is 3 degrees, you never have to check which stripe is the ideal one for you.
There are several ways to determine the correct sharpening angle. In many cases the manufacturer will provide information, tables with different types of knives are available and obviously you will be able
to find general guidelines for different types of knives. It is also possible to use a permanent marker: place a line on the fold of the blade and carefully sharpen a small piece under a possible sharpening
angle. The disappeared part of the line you placed with the permanent marker will show you if the angle is correct or has to be bigger or smaller.
Placing your knife
Before you start the sharpening process you place your knife against the metal plate. This plate must be adjusted in such a way that the cut of your knife is just free. When you have a smaller knife, the
sharpening stone can reach the entire knife without you having to move it. You will have to move a large knife. But because the knife is not clamped this can be done quickly and convenient. Just like
with any sharpening method you will have to practice for a while to get the hang of it but you will be able to sharpen even your first knife without any problems. And that is not always possible with many
other sharpening systems. It is important however not to move your knife while you are sharpening.
A small spray bottle is included in the delivery. This spray bottle can be used to keep the stone wet. Just use normal water or possibly water with a little bit of soap. This way the sharpening stones
remain clean and in perfect condition.
At first sight it seems that sharpening on the Edge Pro Apex is not without risk. For you (also) sharpen in the direction of the cut of your blade. Yet it is perfectly safe to sharpen with the Edge Pro.
A plastic stop on both ends of the sharpening stone prevents overshooting. Your fingers remain at a safe distance of your sharp knife.
Grit size of Edge Pro sharpening stones
The sharpening stones of the Edge Pro sharpening system seem to be coarse compared to our Naniwa sharpening stones. That is due to the fact that there are multiple scales for the grit size of
sharpening stones. An Edge Pro grit 400 is comparable to a 800 of Naniwa. And a 1000 of Edge Pro is comparable to a 5000. When you consider that you can use tapes with a grit 6000 for polishing, you
understand that you can achieve an unrivalled sharpness.
Table of comparison Edge Pro versus Japanese Water Stone
List of the advantages and tips
|Edge Pro ||Japanese water stone |
|120 ||120 |
|220 ||700 |
|320 ||2000 |
|600 ||5000 |
|1000 ||8000 |
|1200 ||15000 |
|2000 (tape) ||10000 |
|3000 (tape) ||18000 |
|6000 (tape) ||20000 |
- The Edge Pro Apex is a compact sharpening system which is easy to carry.
- You sharpen every knife under a very constant angle.
- It is not likely you will damage your knife. Tape can be used in order to prevent scratches. Keeping all parts clean also reduces the risk of damages.
- Convenient bag is included in the delivery so you can keep all parts together.
Scope of delivery
- Write the sharpening angle of your knives down. Maintaining your knife is a piece of cake when you always sharpen under the same sharpening angle. You will not have to repair the fold.
- Use a permanent marker to visualise how much you remove during the sharpening process.
- As easy as the Edge Pro sharpening systems are in use, practice makes perfect. First sharpen an old knife to figure out how everything works exactly. Especially important is that you keep the knife still during the sharpening process.
- Do not use too much pressure. Lighter is better. The sharpening stone should do the work and not the pressure you use.
- Slightly moisten your worktop prior to placing the Edge Pro Apex. This will enhance the working of the suction cups.
- Do you use polish tapes to obtain the ultimate sharpness? You can use these in a dry condition. Or possibly with a single drop of water.
- You do not always have to immediately replace the polish tape in case you would cut it. You can keep on using the tape as long as it works. Risk for cutting the tape will be a lot less when you polish along the direction of the cut of the knife.
- Not only is the ceramic sharpening rod ideal for removing the smallest burrs, you can also use it to sharpen serrated knives.
- You can easily take the entire sharpening system with you in the carrying bag, but it is also possible to only bring the ceramic sharpening rod. This rod is almost always sufficient for quick maintenance.
- Edge Pro Apex sharpening system
- Sharpening stones, grit size: 120, 220, 400, 600 and 1000 (dimensions: 159x25x6.5 mm, including aluminium surface plate)
- 2 aluminium plates, suitable for the mounting of polish tapes
- 1 packet polish tapes, grit 2000 (15 per packet)
- 1 packet polish tapes, grit 3000 (15 per packet)
- Ceramic sharpening rod, grit 1200, length 20 cm
- Microfribre cloth
- Spray bottle
- Black cordura storage bag
- Brand: Edge Pro
- Series: Apex
- Type: sharpening system
- Length: 42 cm
- Width: 10 cm
- Height: 18.5 cm
- Number of stones included: 5
- Length knife holder: 6.8 cm
- Number of adjustable sharpening angles:: 5
- Fixed sharpening angle: yes
- Sharpening angle: 10º, 15º, 18º, 21º, 24º
- Colour: black, blue, grey
- Material: plastic, steel
- Suitable for: asian kitchen knives, blades sharpened on one side, pocket knives, recurve blades, western kitchen knives
- Abrasive: diamond, silicon carbide, white aluminum oxide
- Use with water: yes, create wet surface before using
- Storage box / etui: yes
- Delivered with stand: yes, yes
- Country of origin: USA
- Warranty on materials and manufacturing defects: lifetime
Edge Pro Apex 4, sharpening system