The Lansky Controlled Angle Sharpening system is designed to give your knife a razor-sharp edge every time you use it. The patented Lansky system makes it easy to sharpen with a constant angle which gives you an optimal result. You fixate the knife in the clamp and then keep a constant angle during sharpening thanks to the guidance system. The Controlled Angle system includes sharpening wheels made of aluminum-oxide and ceramics.
Determine the sharpening angle
The Lansky sharpening system allows you to choose from four angles. These angles are fixed for you to maintain the same angle during sharpening. To find out under what angle you should sharpen your knife, you can always ask the manufacturer. If they cannot help you further you can also find out yourself. You can do it with the so-called 'marker-test'. Put a line with a permanent marker on the edge of the blade and sharpen gently with the current sharpening angle. At the piece of marker lining that is no longer there you can see if the angle is good, or maybe should be larger or smaller.
The Lansky system has the following angles:
- 17 degree angle-usually used for Japanese knives and razors. This angle creates superbly sharp but fragile edge.
- 20 degree angle-a common setting for most knives with a blade of high quality. A sharpening angle of 20 degrees is usually perfect for kitchen knives.
- 25 degree angle-most knives that require a long sharp cut, such as hunting knives and outdoor knives, are under sharpened with this angle.
- 30 degree angle-knives that have to endure a lot, such as wood, carpet or wire cutting, stay sharp for a long amount of time with this angle. Advisable if you expose your knife to rough work.
You always sharpen the knife per side. To sharpen the other side, you put the knife in the clamp the other way around.
The sharpening system comes with three stones and a comprehensive user manual, so you can get started quickly!
Delivered with the Lansky sharpening system
- Lansky clamp
- Three guiding steels
- Red sharpening steel, grit 120
- Green sharpening steel, grit 280
- Blue sharpening steel, grit 600
- Nathan's natural honing oil, 29.6 ml, for maximum sharpening result (do not use on diamond sharpening steels)
- Storage box for Lansky sharpening system
- User manual