Sharpening knives difficult? Not with the Wicked Edge! With this comprehensive system sharpening goes quickly, safely and to an incredibly sharp result. The Wicked Edge 3 has everything you need for an optimal sharpening result. After some practice you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to use.
The Generation 3 Pro stands out from the other Wicked Edge sharpening systems by the one-step adjustment for clamping blades. The clamp, which has a spring inside it, ensures the knife is always nicely centred. With one hand movement you can clamp it or take the knife out. Another big difference is how the angle is set. A lever changes the angle on both sides of the edge. It works fast and it is impossible to make mistakes with having two different angles per side of the blade.
Also, the Generation 3 looks even better than its predecessors. It takes up less space on the table and the sharpening stones can conveniently be stowed inside system itself.
It is important to set the proper angle before sharpening. Sharpening in this pre-set angle is what Wicked Edge really excels in. It is so well thought-out that once you set the angle, nothing can go wrong. You follow a fixed amount of repetitions and end up with a perfectly sharpened knife.
1 You clench your knife in the Wicked Edge. A 'depth key' and a ruler ensure that your knife is always clenched in exactly the same spot. There are two vertical positions to choose from. A knife edge should be about 15.9 mm (5/8 inch) above the clamp. In this case, the indication of the sharpening angle in degrees is exactly right. For long and/or flexible blades, a conductor is included, which enhances the stability of the clamping. A digital protractor is available in case you want to check the exact angle before sharpening.
2 Now you determine the correct sharpening angle for your knife. There are several ways to determine this. In many cases a manufacturer can inform you about the sharpening angle, there are tables with angles for different knives and of course, general guide lines for different types of knives can be found online. A test to determine the sharpening angle, is by drawing a line of the fold of the blade with a water proof marker. Then carefully sharpen a bit with a certain angle. Seeing the part of the line that was removed during sharpening, you can see whether the angle is correct or must adjusted to be larger or smaller.
3 If you have set the correct sharpening angle you can slide the grinding stones on the guiding rods. If your knife really blunt you have to start a coarser stone to re-shape the edge. With the finer stones you polish the knife until it is razor-sharp.
4 The next step is the actual sharpening. You slide the sharpening stones over the guide rods. This runs very smoothly without reducing the accuracy. Both sides of each stone have different grit sizes. Of each grit, two pieces are included to you can sharpen both sides of the edge at the same time. One of the reasons why you are done so quickly. When using other sharpening methods, it takes concentration to find and maintain the correct sharpening angle. With a Wicked Edge though, it is simply impossible to lose the correct angle. The sharpening process is dry, no oil or water is used.
5 The finishing touch. After you have used all the desired grits for sharpening, you can use the Wicked Edge version of a leather strop to do the last polishing work. You treat the leather with a little bit of diamond paste and then continue polishing until there is no way left to increase the sharpness. It is very important to deal carefully with a leather strop and make sure you do not cut into the leather. You can make sure of this by only making upward moves on a leather strop. Then it cannot go wrong. You also avoid damaging the strop by cleaning the knife before you polish it, to make sure no loose metal parts get stuck on the leather.
The leather strops and diamond paste are not included in the kit, but sold individually. On the page Wicked Edge-accessories you will find different sets with strops and diamond paste’s in different grain sizes.
If your knife looses a bit of it's sharpness, you can clamp it in the system in the usual way and do your daily maintenance with a very fine grit stone. Because you always do exactly the same thing you have quick and optimal results. Something that would take a lot more experience if you would use a different system.
Do you want to know more about the use of the Wicked Edge? Have a look here.
Advantages and tips lined up:
- Your knife is placed very securely in the system
- The sharpening angle is set very precisely and kept without any effort
- There is hardly any chance to scratches on the blade. If you want, you can use a piece of tape to protect the part of the blade which is clamped. Usually this is not necessary.
- Your knife is very quickly sharpened because you can sharpened two sides of the blade at once and you automatically use the correct angle.
- You sharpen without using water or oil. Only for the leather strops you use a little bit of diamond paste. This works for a long time.
- Write down the used settings. This way, the sharpening angle remains constant and the maintenance of the knife is quick and easy.
- Use a marker to be able to see what material your grind away.
- Before use of the leather strops, make sure the knife is well cleaned. Remaining loose metal particles can damage the leather. It can also affect the polishing properties. Also be careful not to cut into the leather.
- Practice in the beginning with an old knife. First of all, to get used to the sharpening system and secondly to prepare the diamond stones for sharpening. A new sharpening stone works just a little too coarsely. Only after 5 to 10 knives the system works as intended. And the user is also part of the system!
- Do not exercises too much pressure. Lighter is better. The sharpening stone should be doing the job and not the exercised force.
- Especially in the beginning, take some time to get to know the system.
- Wicked Edge Generation 3 Pro sharpening system
- hard case
- Base plate dimensions: 30,5 x 15,5 x 2 cm
- Maximum height (upper clamp): 31 cm
- 2 heavy guide rods with ball bearings for the sharpening stones
- Depth key
- 3 x 2 sharpening stones